Thank you all for your support, encouragement, and interest in our first time home buying adventure! Many of you have asked for photos. Instead of waiting for “after” pics to do a before/after (because honestly, who knows when we ever will have arrived at “after!”), I thought I’d start by sharing some before and during photos of our kitchen!
Here she be in all her 1980’s glory:
- Great layout
- Cabinets are well built
- Beautiful hardwood floors
- Large ceramic sink
- Huge window sill overlooking the backyard!
- Counter height bar between the kitchen and dining room
- Two words: walk-in pantry (or is that 3 words?)
Less desirable features (but hey, they make great before/after’s!):
- Hello, wallpaper.
- Red countertops (Gotta give them credit though… they’re in great condition)
- Dated pulls on oak cabinets with dated trim… plate shelves, etc.
- Mirrors for the stove backsplash?!
- A huge box of a cabinet for a microwave
My brother and sister-in-law helped us remove the corner cabinet and the one over the bar. It brightens and kitchen and totally opens up the room! (No more bending over to talk to someone sitting at the table while washing dishes at the sink!)
Here’s a look at cabinets with doors removed for painting, and corner cabinet gone.Micro cabinet and above-fridge shelf also removed. Wall paper removal begun.Can this thing hanging above the sink actually be considered a “light fixture”?!We found some pretty electrical work behind the old range hood:Speaking of electrical work… the dishwasher was not connected to the breaker marked “dishwasher.” Oh no, it was plugged into an extension cord run down through the wall. And it almost killed my brother-in-law while he was trying to remove it. No joke.
(Work zone! Please disregard the mess.)
And here’s where we are at now…
- One coat of paint on the cabinets
- Wallpaper is removed on the soffit above the cabinets, as well as behind the stove and fridge
- Stove, fridge, and range hood are in (the appliances were a “housewarming” gift!! We’re still overwhelmed by the givers’ generosity.)
- The dishwasher is waiting for a legit outlet to be installed (the ball is rolling… we had an electrician here today!)
- Finish painting cabinets
- New knobs and pulls
- Counter tops… someday?
- Finish removing wall paper
- Decide on paint color (yes, that’s it’s own line item)
- New faucet
- Install a reverse osmosis system for drinking water
- New light fixture above the sink
- Remove soffit above the bar (if it’s not full of important things, like plumbing)
- Hang pendant lights above bar
- Open shelves beside the fridge and where the corner cabinet was
- Add a backsplash