If you’re looking for an easy, healthy, affordable option for breakfast, snack, lunch, or a pretty addition for brunch with friends, this just might be what you’re looking for. Ready for the “recipe”?
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Fresh or frozen fruit
- Your favorite yogurt (vanilla, flavored, or plain, Greek or regular)
- Granola (store-bought or homemade)
- A small jar or container with spill-proof lid
Now, you may be thinking this isn’t really a recipe. And to be fair, it’s not. And ya, how hard can it be to layer fruit, yogurt, and granola in a jar?! Not hard at all, which is why it’s so great. But I do want to share how I layer it, because while multiple alternating layers of fruit, yogurt, and granola makes for beautiful presentation, it all gets rather soggy and mushy if you make it up in advance. So here’s the method to my madness:
- Cover the bottom of the jar with chopped fruit. Both fresh and frozen fruit is going to release some juices as it sits. Delicious, but works best on the bottom so it doesn’t make your yogurt runny. Try some strawberries… raspberies… blueberries… peaches… yummmmm
- Scoop in some yogurt on top of the fruit. It seals the fruit and juices on the bottom of the jar and keeps the granola in a single layer on top of the parfait. Bingo. (Making your own parfait’s is budget friendly because this way you can buy a tub of your favorite yogurt instead of individual yogurt containers.)
- Sprinkle the granola on top of the yogurt to keep it crunchy! (If you want to try making your own, here is my favorite granola recipe. If you’d like to keep it gluten free, I recently tried this recipe from My Gluten-Free Kitchen and thought it was delicious!)
I like to use small mason jars with plastic screw on lids. They’re the perfect size for one serving, easy to scoop out of, and the lids stay on tight. Make them up the day ahead and they’re ready for a quick breakfast, a healthy snack during the day, or to set out for a brunch, shower, or other get together.